Background

Sunday, June 17, 2012

What's in a name?

Just a quick note to let you all know how we decided on Lena's name:

First, my grandmother (mom's mom) is named Ottolena.  She has meant the world to me and has always been someone I really looked up to.  When Nathan and I started talking kids names way back before we were even considering having kids, the name Lena came up.  Later realizing our first child was a boy and giving him a K name, we talked and Nathan wanted the name Koralena as a K name for a girl since it would also combine my Grandma's name and it was a K name to go with Kyler.  I really did NOT like Koralena and convinced Nathan to go with just Lena even though it wasn't a K name.  He agreed and so Lena got her first name after her great-grandmother.

Second, Lena's middle name was a little bit more difficult.  I wanted Faith because I've really had to have faith throughout this entire journey.  I thought Faith was just a beautiful name, but Nathan wasn't sold.  Nathan wanted Marie (even though it was my mom's name).  I asked him if it would make his mother mad because we were already using Lena as her first name.  He said no and that it was our decision anyways.  I still wasn't sold on just Lena Marie, but I did like the idea of using Marie after my mother's name because my mom has been someone who has really been there for me through each of my miscarriages.  I have always been against having huge names OR double middle names, but something about the name Lena Faith-Marie just hit me one night.  I suggested to Nathan we use both middle names as sort of a compromise.  He wasn't sold on that, but after a little convincing he let me use both middle names with a hyphen because I told him I wanted to be able to explain to my little girl some day where she got her name from. 

So that's the story of how we came up with her name...and I'll tell you, it is the CUTEST thing in the world to hear Kyler say what his sister's name is.  I think after hearing it only one time in the hospital when we told him he was saying this is my baby sister--Lena Faith-Marie, and to this day if you ask him he will tell you her entire name.

Now, I wish I could come up with names to give my angels...or rather that Nathan would let me give them names...we're still working on that one, however my angel that I lost last April was going to be named Kayden James if he was a boy (which we later found out I was right--it was a boy!) so I'm just sticking with that.  For my first 2 angels, we don't know if they were boys or girls and if I suggest names or ask Nathan his opinion all he says is, well you just don't know if they were boys or girls so how can you give them names?  I think I may think about it a little more before I decide on a name for sure, but I felt like my first miscarriage I was carrying a boy and the 2nd was a girl so I guess we'll see if I come up with something--or who knows, maybe I'll just come up with a "generic" boy/girl name.  Either way, I guess it doesn't really matter because God knows them and they are up in heaven living with my Savior.





and here's my beautiful family on Nate & my 7th wedding anniversary just for fun!

No comments: