Background

Thursday, February 19, 2009

He's Here!!!


Well, it's now been 2 weeks since I last posted, and I am FINALLY able to get on here and update as well as feel like I'm getting back on my feet. Things were quite rough at first, only because I had a lot of discomfort with the stitches I received. I say discomfort because it wasn't a pain I couldn't handle, but I definitely couldn't get up and calm Kyler's crying needs...usually it was that he was hungry or had a wet diaper, but I couldn't get up and down very quickly. It took a little while to figure out his schedule as well as my own with having to go and do personal things like going to the bathroom and taking showers...but I think we have things at least a little figured out anyways.

I guess since I didn't update the day Kyler was born, I should probably post something about his birth...what to say...it all passed by in such a whirlwind that it's hard to believe it's been 2 weeks already and also that I've had my precious little man outside of my belly now for 2 weeks. Kyler's birth was actually not that bad...I'd say it was an 8 on a scale of 1-10. I went into the hospital on Thursday Feb. 5 with contractions that were anywhere from 3-5 min. apart. This was actually my second trip to the hospital for the week...I made Nate take me on Feb. 3rd (the day I wanted Kyler to be born) with contractions, but they weren't regular at all...I guess you could say I was exaggerating a little. Well, on the 5th of Feb. we got to the hospital, got hooked up to the monitors in triage and I was checked to see how far dialated I was...I was now 3 cm. which wasn't bad, but I guess the nurses and doctor saw progress on the monitor because they admitted me at 1am Fri. Feb. 6th. I labored in the whirlpool tub for a while (which was the ONLY thing I did for labor) and a couple times I was checked. I didn't have my water break beacuse Kyler's head was so low, but he did create a bulge of waters that the doctor came in and broke around 6am. After that, things went by so fast and I had NO concept of time whatsoever. Around 7:30 or so, the nurses and everyone came running in and had me get on my hands and knees in the bed because Kyler's heartrate dropped to 50. When I flipped over onto my hands and knees, the contractions started coming RAPIDLY and I couldn't hardly handle them...so I said I need an epidural NOW! I wish I had asked to be checked one last time before the epidural came, but again, I didn't have any concept of time and I wasn't exactly thinking straight. The dr. came in according to Nate an hour after I asked for the epidural which also makes me think I could have made it without the epidural at all, but oh well. This way I got a little rest before I had to push. Labor kind of dragged out after I asked for the epidural, but at least I didn't feel a THING and like I said, I did get to sleep a little before having to push. I started pushing around 12:30 I think and Kyler was here at 1:15 pm on Friday Feb. 6th 2009. I had to have a couple stitches, but according to the dr. it wasn't bad. In the hospital my recovery was fine other than the HUGE swollen feet...my recovery really didn't start til I got home. I decided that I was going to breastfeed and on top of not being able to jump up in a hurry to get Kyler, my breasts got EXTREMELY engorged! I was miserable and so was Kyler. I ended up pumping 13.5 oz. of milk out just because I couldn't take it anymore and the ice diapers weren't helping to relieve any of the discomfort...After that, Kyler latched on like a pro and gained quite a bit. I took him to get him weighed on Monday. Feb. 16 and he weighed in at 7lbs. 11 oz. which was GREAT! He's happy and I'm happy and now, we are even on top of getting some sort of schedule going at home. Kyler has been able to sleep in 3 hour stretches during the day and last night even slept for a 5 hour stretch which was GREAT! other than the fact that I woke up a couple times feeling a little uncomfortable from the milk, but I lived with it and must have been tired because I fell back to sleep. Wow, this has gotten quite long and I have bills to pay...I guess I better end it here and update more on Kyler later.

No comments: