Background

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Poor Kyler

Well, it's been 3 weeks and my baby got his first cold. Thank goodness it's nothing more than a cold...but it's still miserable seeing him have to deal with the crud in the nose! It all started on Wednesday night. Kyler started breathing a little differently than normal, so I took him to change his diaper and tried sucking out his nose with the nasal aspirator. To my surprise he had a big glob of yellow gunk stuck in there. Over the next day and a half I watched his symptoms and talked with my mom and mother in law (since they are both in the medical field) and they said to watch his temp. He didn't have any temperature whatsoever so I figured nothing of it...however Saturday afternoon he started a cough which later led to some wheezing (or what my mom and I thought was wheezing!). I ended up calling our pediatrician's office and they paged the doctor that was on call (Dr. Kort--who also seemed very nice!) and she told us to take Kyler in to the GRAPES clinic (which stands for Grand Rapids Area Pediatric Evening Services) because she thought his symptoms sounded like some infection in his bronchioles which she had seen in the office a lot lately and she said better be safe than sorry...so around 7:30pm on Saturday night, we took Kyler to the clinic and a Dr. Sarver checked him out. First Kyler had his temp taken (98.6--normal!) and then he was weighed (8lbs. 11oz.--still gaining weight--GOOD!) then Dr. Sarver looked in Kyler's ears and said they looked good, and then he checked out his nose and throat. Dr. Sarver said looks to me like a normal cold...then he asked about the wheezing that my mom and I had heard. I tried to explain it like a wheeze that I sometimes experience when I have my asthma triggered, but it was kind of difficult to explain. I said Kyler was by no means gasping for air as far as I could tell and so then Dr. Sarver told us we had a kid with a cold and some things we could keep doing to try and help Kyler breathe a little better--saline drops in the nose and then using the nasal aspirator (both of which we were already doing!)--and then if we noticed Kyler developing the wheeze and it was like he was gasping for air to definitely call back or bring him back in to be checked out. What a relief to find out all this was just a silly little cold, but still miserable to hear the poor thing breathe since he still trys to breathe through his nose even though it's quite clogged!

On a brighter note, I took a picture to give my mom for St. Patrick's day to have on her desk since she had made a comment that she wanted a new picture for each month of the year to put in some calendar she had gotten...so on Friday morning I dressed Kyler in his St. Patrick's day outfit and we took a picture for all of Kyler's grandparents. Here he is all ready to celebrate mommy's favorite holiday!!!

No comments: